Thursday, March 31, 2011

Zombie Moms

With baby's delivery expected to come any day, sleepless nights are becoming the norm. Moms out there know what I mean. The uncomfortable stage where you can't find the right spot, tired of always having to sleep on your left side (with the occasional shift to the right for a change of scenery). And let's not forget about pee breaks. I'm lucky if it's only once a night, but usually it's two to three trips to the washroom. Trying to walk there with my eyes close so I can quickly fall back asleep. Then there are baby kicks that keep you from sleeping, and lastly the anxiousness of waiting for baby to come.

Add to this my daughter, who at the week of turning two, seemed to get the memo of the 'terrible twos!" Who sent this to her? Lately my two year old hasn't been sleeping well. She was a perfect sleeper. Even when we first moved her to her big girl bed she had no issues. We've had lots of changes and I think she knows something is up.... baby is coming! Her naps have shortened and bedtime is a disaster right now. Her 7:30 pm bedtime has suddenly become 10:00 pm! Every time you tuck her in and walk away you hear little feet running to the door a minute later crying for mommy! Back to sleep training all over again!

Here's my daughter fighting nap time. Let her cry it out and we found her asleep on the floor!

Zombie Daughter! Lack of sleep is affecting her, but she still fights it.
Now I'm a work-at-home mom. So nap times and evenings are when I get my work done.  Cutting into my work time means I've been up extra late trying to get all my work done. It's not unusual for me to go to bed at 2:00 am anymore. I'm lucky if I get five hours of sleep a night. I've become a Zombie Mom! Wait until baby two comes!

The occasional day I do take off of work, I lie in bed tossing and turning. My body is so use to staying up late. What do I do? I'm not the kind of girl that has the glass of warm milk and reads a book. I'll admit, I check my emails, log on to momstown's message board to see 'what's up' and 'who's up with me', and check facebook and twitter. But facebook is pretty 'dead' at night. I usually rely on momstown 'cause there is so much to read and respond to on the message board, and there is bound to be another mom or two logged on while I am. It helps me not feel like I'm the only person awake in the entire city right now! Many of us have late night feedings and need someone to talk to while we're up in the middle of the night.

Now if you're not lucky enough to have a momstown in your community, check out twitter. Yes, I know not a lot of moms have bought into twitter yet. It's not just about following celebrities. I have connected with lots of moms from around the world. Try it out! I recently discovered a hash tag #zombiemoms. Those that don't know what this means, a hash tag is a way to follow a conversation on twitter. #zombiemoms was started by moms who were up a lot at night, either feeding baby or dealing with sick kiddies, etc. If they can't sleep or need some company they check out who's on twitter at night by following the hash tag. The topic of conversation usually revolves around how tired we are the next day. And we joke about surviving with such lack of sleep. It's my favourite new hash tag to follow. So if you are on twitter, check it out and join in on the conversation!

So next time you're up late at night, find me! I'll probably be up too. Either on the momstown message board, twitter, facebook or writing another blog post!

1 comment:

  1. we are going through those lovely two's in this house as well! hang in there!!! i'm your newest follower....

    www.jandmparrott.blogspot.com
    www.thesahmconfessions.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete